4 weeks (2 hour sessions -1 session/week)
Many branches of science have influenced music and the human condition in cultures around the world. Science illuminates the beauty and power of music, like a diamond. This seminar series examines the ways in which humans have always relied on music to bond together, to relax and to motivate one another. It also has the power to treat diseases and disorders in surprising ways.
1. Participants develop competency in terms relevant to the biology of music
2. Participants can describe the ways in which music affects humans across their lifetime
3. Participants are introduced to research from around the world on the biology of music
4. Participants consider the ways in which science supports the advocacy of music, music education and music therapy
1. Why does music matter — from ancient cultures to modern society
2. Why music matters in childhood development
3. Why music matters in ageing
4. Why music training matters — how musicians’ brains are different from those of non-musicians
Kathleen M. Howland is a certified music therapist and licensed speech language pathologist. For the past 40 years, she has worked with a variety of clinical populations, using music to enhance speech, language, cognition and movement in habilitation and rehabilitation settings. Her doctoral studies in music and cognition have informed and supported her interest in bridging the communities of science and art in order to identify best practices. She has taught undergraduate and graduate courses at the Boston Conservatory, Berklee College of Music, Lesley University and Boston University. This gives her the opportunity to bring clinical work into the classroom and academic resources to clinical work.
Dr Howland says “I believe in the power of music to reach people with disabilities that are either congenital or acquired in nature. After 40-plus years in the field, I continue to be amazed at the abilities that are revealed and accessed through music. I believe that music is a force for good in the world and it is my aspiration to serve this belief through the best from both science and art.”
Study many popular disciplines of contemporary music, theatre and dance, with workshops and masterclasses led by world-renowned artists and instructors.SEE ALL PROGRAMMES
Get a taste of the Berklee experience with this three-week remote summer programme.